Friday, August 12, 2011

Redundant redundant

Life as a cashier is pretty repetitive but I still like it. Here are some of the things that are commonly heard and seen at the check-lane.

"I should buy a lottery ticket!" -After a purchase comes to a certain total like $12.34 or $111.11

"Do you want some kids? I'll sell them to you real cheap." -When a Mom is overwhelmed by her out of control children (which happens a lot)

"A man must have designed this" -Usually from an older lady when I have trouble finding the barcode on a large item like a vacuum or a tv

People call me "hon" sometimes and I love it.

I am always surprised when a guest calls me by name. I usually forget that I'm wearing a name tag.

The game show network is almost always on in the break room. I have watched more Family Feud and Lingo this Summer than I care to admit.

"What time are you off?" -One of the first questions the cashiers ask other cashiers

"I usually can't leave this store without spending less that $50."

"What did I even buy?" -When a total is especially high and there is not much merchandise to show for it.

The beep beep beep always makes me wish I could be on Supermarket Sweep

For the most part the day to day activities are similar but something about going to work gets me excited. The people that I work with are mostly fun and so supportive of each other. I did get invited to go 80's dancing with some people from work. Too bad I'm only 20 and I hate the 80's otherwise it could have been a lot of fun.

4 comments:

rob said...

1) You missed the 80's. Such a shame.

2) From now on I'm either calling my cashiers "Hon", or by their first names. What I have been calling them up to this point ("hottieboombalottie") probably is just a tad bit inappropriate.

rob said...

3) Whose blog do you think will Alyssa check first when she steps back into the 21st century?

Alaina said...

I have never thought about the most frequent things cashiers must hear - that's awesome! hahaha. I got a good laugh. Also, I think it's really awesome that you know how to cashier. The whole process mystifies me, mostly to think of when things go wrong.

Mallory Jan said...

Rob: Obviously mine, and then maybe yours.

Alaina: I have got some good cashier stories for you when I get back.