Monday, March 12, 2012

The day I said yes to forever

Can I tell you a story? A story about how a certain boy made me the happiest girl in the world? If you answered yes to either of those questions then, by all means, continue reading.

Joshua got into Utah a little after 10pm on Friday night and we stayed at Alaina and Brad's snazzy new house. Neither of us slept very well that night mostly because the anticipation of two whole days in the same place is even greater than that of a child waiting for Christmas morning. At least, that's why I couldn't sleep. I found out later that Joshua had at least one huge reason to lay awake.

Needless to say, Saturday started super early and we were excited about it. We visited with Brad and Alaina for a bit and got ready for the day. Joshua was keen on hiking, for some reason, and Brad told us about the Stewart Falls trail. We made our way down to Provo and then up the canyon to find Stewart Falls. We drove around Sundance and could not find the trail head anywhere. The gas light was on in the car, there was snow everywhere, and I was getting sort of grumpy. We gave up on Stewart Falls and decided to make our way back out of the canyon to try find another, better marked, trail.

We found a trail that we had been on before that lead to a beaver dam and decided to try and find it. There was snow well, mostly snow that had been packed into ice, all over the trail. It was a slow climb but we where determined to find something beautiful. We gave up on finding the dam and sat on some logs by a stream. We talked for a while and then Joshua started saying nice things about me. I wish I could remember what he said because they were REALLY nice things. Anyway, after a few minutes of that he asked if he could show me what he'd made. Of course I said yes and he pulled a plastic box out of his backpack. Inside the box was a paper mache, anatomically correct (mostly), heart. He presented it to me and said, "Can I ask you a question?" "Yes" I replied. He opened the heart and said, "Will you marry me?"
Surprised doesn't even begin to cover how I felt in that moment. I knew for a fact that we were not going to get engaged this weekend and there was this boy in front of me asking me to marry him. I didn't have words. "Yes, yes, yes. Without a doubt yes!" was my reply after a few seconds to soak it all in.
He picked out this ring all by himself. We'd been ring shopping before but never found anything we couldn't live without. He told me later that he picked it out because he knew I was too indecisive to pick something for myself. This boy knows me so well.
I am elated! I've had that pit of my stomach, Christmas morning excited feeling ever since Saturday. This has been the best, most exciting weekend of my life. I cannot wait to start forever with my best friend. I look forward to a life will always be exciting, hilarious, and joyful.
I am the luckiest.

13 comments:

Elizabeth Peterson said...

I couldn't be more happier for me! Yaaay, a new sister and one as cool as you is enough to keep a smile pasted on my face for at least the rest of today. Congratulations, you two are perfect for each other!

Alicia said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this :) So excited for you both, and can't wait to hear more of the story you still have ahead!

Alaina said...

Ohhh this story makes me so happy. We are so excited for you. Brad said "I'm so glad the Lutes family stayed here on the day they got engaged!" We feel a little bit famous. Love you!

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

BASK in the joy of this time! I can't think of a more euphoric time in life than a proposal. I am over the moon for you!

kinobud said...

Happy happy days for you ahead. Love you, both.

Angie said...

Congratulations, Mallory! So happy for you!

Cheri said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes---tears of happiness for you and Joshua! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Mallory and Joshua, You guys make me laugh and cry at the same time. Your G.Ma would be so proud and happy for you! The same for me. Mallory our most cherished NURSE. I have felt for some time that you were meant for each other. Eternity waits for those who seek and you are both deserving seekers. All my LOVE. G. alone but the other G will never be forgotten as she smiles from on high at your happiness.

Heather said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys! This makes my heart smile. :)

Erin said...

Welcome to the family!

Emily said...

I am absolutely giddy with happiness!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel Eve said...

How cute is Grandpa's comment?

I am so happy for you, Mal. What a cute couple you guys are and I am so excited for you!

NatAttack said...

HUZZAH!