Sunday, August 31, 2008

Party Animal

The rumors are true. I did have a party this weekend. I don't know if you could really call it a party but more or less a gathering of a few kids all in the pursuit of something to do on a saturday night. I did practice my skill at the culinary art of cupcake making. Many thanks go to Nat Pat who is the master maker and who taught me some of her skills. Here is a look at my lemon cheesecake with blackberry puree and lemon cheesecake with coconut cupcakes.

The other thing that has filled my last weekend of freedom has been the reading of the book Socrates Cafe. It's a big change from the teen fiction I've been reading all summer but I have to say I'm enjoying it. This book is not long but it is full of so much that I often find myself rereading things to better understand. It's a philosopy book and the ideas that are proposed in it are really interesting. The whole premise is about the socratic method which is a way of thinking well a way of questioning really. I don't know just reading it makes me think of things I've never thought of before. There are ideas about friendship, self worth, silence, love. Things that you know about but things that you have never really thought about in that much depth because you feel them more than think them. It is really cool to actually read the dialogues that provoke questions in your life that will in turn lead to more questions but still somehow you feel that you reach some sort of an answer in the end. Well anyway if you want a book that will challenge you a lead you to some thought this is the book for you.

3 comments:

kendall said...

Mallory, those cupcakes look so freaking cool. My mouth is watering thinking about it.

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Those are gorgeous! In fact, you should be making money off of them. You and Nat should go into business together. :)

NatAttack said...

Hey lady! I thought I commented on this one already. SAD that I didn't! I've looked at these photos MANY times in the last few days. You took my tip that half a cupcake is presentation and upped the importance level! THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Erica is right -- we could be a baking force!