Friday, January 18, 2008

A New Season

You may be thinking a new season like winter or spring but no, this new season is that glorious season we call the rugby. This will be my third season and I am so pumped. This is me freshmen year A lot has changed since then but since many of you don't know the particulars of how I got started in this whole rugby business I will tell you now. It all started in eight grade when my good friend Megan (pictured at the left) and I decided to play rugby in high school just because. We didn't have any idea what it was but we thought we could give it a shot. We did and when freshman year rolled around we signed up for the team and started off on that crazy journey that would turn us both in to life long rugby lovers. The season was great. I learned more about my body and my limits in that one season than I had learned in my whole life and my feelings of accomplishment were some of the best in the world. Soon the season was over and I would have to a whole eight months before the next season. It finally came, my sophomore rugby season. It was even better than the last year. I knew better what I was doing, I knew all of the returning girls on the team, and best of all it would be our year to make it to the National Invitational Tournament for rugby. Long story short we made it to nationals and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I am so greatful that I got to go and I feel so blessed that I was able to go to Milwaukee with my parents and my rugby team. We won the plate division just in case you forgot.
I guess in closing I just want to say that you don't know your limits until you are truly pushed past them. I am not blessed with any athletic genes so it's all on me and I just keep going out and doing it because it is a challenge! You have never played a team sport until you've played rugby and relied on someone else to save you when big scary girls come to tackle you. Rugby is the closest thing I have ever had to a family outside our family. Just in case you ever wondered I am absolutely terrified of rugby. I know what I just said makes it seem all warm and fun but the truth is evertime a game is finished I ask myself, "What just happend?". It is the scariest thing in the world but there are many payoffs for it and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Come up and watch me play this season I am sure you won't regret it. As for my junior season of rugby I am hoping it is the best yet!

4 comments:

Alaina said...

I'm laughing out loud - "when big scary girls come" hahaha so true! I love that you're scared of it and still do it. Talk about an adrenalin rush eh?

I totally know what you mean about limits - I didn't know who I was until I had to survive in the desert every day at Anasazi when I was sure I was going to die. It's the greatest way to learn yourself EVER.

kendall said...

Rugby!! This blog makes me so happy.

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

So fun! You will remember it forever!

ju said...

can i be you when i grow up?