Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Journey to Nationals

Well I have always heard that group trips are always the funnist and I can honestly say that is true. The trip to Nationals started out good went to bad then worse then to no hope then to maybe I'll be okay just watching and then to we might actually get to play to horray we get to play! to so good and then to the best rugby experience of my life.

So here is the real story. We got to the PDX on time and were ready to go. Soon after arriving we were told that our plane had mechanical problems so it would be delayed a few hours this would mean that we would miss our connecting flight from Phoenix to Milwaukee. Yeah we were bumbed but in the end it turned out we could take our delayed flight to Phoenix and then fly to Minnisota and then finally reach Milwaukee at 7:00am where we would reach the rugby field just in time for our 9:00am game. Well as luck would have it our connecting, one hour flight to Milwaukee, flight had a bad battery on the plane so our flight was cancelled. Dissapointment and 3:00am and no sleep don't work well for us because we were all so upset! We would probobly have to forfeit both of our saturday games which would put us in a game on sunday that would have us competing for last place, not really a very happy situation. Luckily Dad was there and able to work some of his magic and we got on a flight that would put us on a flight getting to Milwaukee at 2:00pm.They gave us a free food coupon and we went to chili's. My cherry coke had too much cherry---I still drank it.
We did it after nearly 27 hours in an airport we got to our final destination. Thanks to an amazing coach and really understanding tournament planners they were able to reschedule our games so we played one as soon as we got to the field on saturday and then two on sunday. There's Dad and me after the first game on sunday. It was a miracle that is all I can say. I was so happy that I went and I felt so bad for those girls who decided not to come. When it came to the final game we ended up playing the Canby, Oregon team that is our biggest competition in Oregon. We beat them, showed them what only experience can give you and won the National plate championship game. look at how shiny that plate is!
We went out fro pizza after the victory. It was fun, I ate so much pizza. So much for buring off a lot of calories in rugby games I think I ate them all back.

In closing Nationals was a blast! I would do it again in a heartbeat and hopefully we get to do it again next year or maybe my senior year.

6 comments:

Alaina said...

Whoa! Somehow I missed that story!

So did you really WIN Nationals? Am I right in that interpretation? I missed THAT story, too!

D. Truscott said...

Mal Pal -- I'm so so so happy to hear about this trip. Dad gave me the full run down.

LOOK how curly and GORGEOUS your hair is. Oh wow, I'm in love with you.

D. Truscott said...

And this is Natalie... somehow I'm logged in on my friend David's computer.

XOXO.
From Nat, not David.

kendall said...

You are my younger, tougher, hotter, hero. Maybe next season on Heroes you can play girl with superhuman strength and rugby skill to kill sylar and evil guy who can see the ugly one!!

Mallory Jan said...

Sylar is already dead and when I first read about david I was really creeped out. I thought do I have a brother I have never known about?! Turns out it was just nat.

I guess we won nationals in a way but in stead of #1 we are #9. the cup division comes before the plate division.

Alaina said...

Heck, just tell people you won. It's all the same. You won! You won!!!