Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Airport Adventures

The great blizzard of 2010 got me stuck in the Salt Lake airport last night for about 5 hours. I got to the airport and the snow had not started falling. Around 5:30pm the storm unleashed its furry. I have never seen snow like I did last night. The wind was blowing and the snow was falling and you could hardly see out the window because everything was white. Needless to say my flight got delayed, and delayed again, and then delayed a third time. I really didn't mind so much. I had a nice chair to sit in, a book to read and my flight wasn't canceled like so many of the other ones. Because I didn't really want to lose my fancy chair, I sat down almost the whole time. It gave me a lot of time to observe the different people in the airport. This is what I've noticed.

There are three types of people that react to a flight delay
1. The ones that get angry/frustrated at the people working in the airport. (which I don't understand because it's not like the airport employees can control an airplane)
2. The ones that instantly become super friendly with the airport employees in hopes that it will increase their chances of getting on a flight (but seriously? does that help anyone?)
3. The people that patiently sit around and catch little snippets and updates from people around them. (the majority of people) I fall into this catagory

Everyone has a laptop. Was it like this even a few years ago?

Most of the men with laptops were playing computer games or watching a movie.

Quite a few women with laptops were catching up on their online shopping.

There are some people that would just prefer to stand up and wait for the plane.

The airport food of choice is definitely Burger King.

Most of the single travelers had headphones in/on the whole time we sat there.

The airport gets sort of cold when you sit around forever.

Eventually our flight got out of there. I escaped the winter wonderland and made it safely to Reno, NV and then all the way to Portland, OR. I waited outside in the cold, breathing in the deliciously cold and clean air of the Northwest. It's great to be home.

No comments: