Wednesday, November 10, 2010

If you love something, you should probably name it

It's probably not news to most of you that I was the victim of bike theft this summer. I walked out to church one Sunday morning and this is all that remained of my mode of transportation.
I am convinced that the reason said bike was stolen was because I never named it.

Naming a car is a tricky thing. You've got to pick the right name to fit the car's personality (you cannot name a black Escalade "Rainbow") while keeping it original (a white car named Snowball, are you for serious?). For example, a few years ago Kendall and I dubbed the Honda Odyssey mini-van Rocky (short for rocket ship) because a.) it's a beast like the great Rocky Balboa and b.) it sounds like the ship may just take off while you drive it.
The second example, and one very close to my heart, is Cher the 1995 Dodge Spirit. Now, Cher was my girl all through the last two years of high school. Kendall and I wanted to pick a name that was classy (she had an automatic seat belt!) but still a little bit trashy (there were a few cigarette burns on the upholstery). Cher just seemed to fit perfectly.
In order to keep all current and future modes of transportation safe from damage and theft, they have been named. The beautiful bike that Aunt Cheri was kind enough to lend me has been named Firenze after the centaur in Harry Potter that is old, wise, and kind to Harry in the forbidden forest. (And yes, I am comparing myself to Harry Potter and Provo is the forbidden forest, deal with it) And in anticipation of what is to come, I've named the Black Jetta Beauty because a.) having a car to use is a beautiful thing and b.) it's short for Black Beauty, like the mighty stallion, because I hear it has a pretty powerful engine. Oh, and the car is actually black.

In memory of my long lost (unnamed) bike, I've purchased a necklace with a bedazzled bike. I'm glad it could teach me to name the things that are important before they are gone forever. And thank goodness it was only a bike!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh that was outrageous yet hilarious! I'm excited to cruise Provo in Beauty.

ju said...

And since "Firenze" translates into "Florence" you're covered in case you find out someday that the bike is actually female.

So hard to tell with bikes these days.