Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sort of gross but kind of awesome

This semester I'm in a microbiology lab that is pretty much a joke. It's scheduled for a 2 hour block every Thursday morning from 8-10 a.m. but I am literally out of the classroom by 8:35a.m. at the latest. Basically the class consists of us turning in our assignments from the previous week while the T.A. tells us in a monotone voice about the experiment we'll be doing, we do the experiment (which usually consists of swabbing something, spreading it on an agar plate and putting it in the cupboard so we can see the growth on it next week), write down what's on the board, and then leave.

I guess you could say they're trying to teach us that microbes are everywhere and after the nasty things I've seen in the past 10 weeks, I believe them. Thanks BYU for turning us all into germaphobes.
Here are the results from last week's lab...
This is the growth that shows from a swab of my own throat after one week.


It's sort of sick right? Well believe me, I can tell you about some pretty disgusting things. I kind of guess that's going to be the story of my life for the rest of my life/career as a nurse. At least that's what I tell myself so I'm not surprised when I see something particularly awful. And to tell you the truth, it doesn't really bother me.

Now everyone go wash your hands because they are filthy and full of microbes!

3 comments:

rob said...

Ew. You've just killed kissing for me.

Alyssa said...

Remember how I was sick the day you swabbed your throat? I wonder what my germs would have looked like...

Cheri said...

Ha ha! I LOVE you and your sense of humor!!