Saturday, March 26, 2011

I forgot how much I love it

Today we went to a BYU Men's Rugby match and it. was. awesome. As soon we walked past the players warming up my heart leapt inside my chest. I could literally feel the joy spread through my body as I thought about everything rugby. I had this weird urge to scrum, ruck, tackle, and work in a way that is only possible in a rugby match. In that split second moment I missed the constantly sore muscles, the multicolored bruises that turned my legs and arms in to a colorful collage, the feel of cleats on my feet and knee length socks up my legs, but most of all, I missed playing with my team. You see, when you're life sort of depends on your teammates you get real close real fast. It's the battle, the physical struggle with your teammates by your side that makes it all worth it.

Since I'm feeling particularly nostalgic tonight...
See the excitement of winning a State Championship,
A little bit of the body damage
Recognize that we were a family
Feel my excitement,
See another win
And know that rugby gets pretty epic

To say that I loved playing rugby in high school would be an understatement. It was my life from January to mid-May. It occupied my thoughts, weekdays, weekends, and even dreams. It ended on a high note and I would not trade the memories I have from my experiences for anything. I'm glad that I will forever be a West Linn Renegade and I love that I can still enjoy rugby by watching others play. I'm already looking forward to the day that I get to tell my children I played rugby in high school. I cannot wait to see their faces.

For two other takes on the days festivities please view these two blogs. And yes, we are all in the library writing blogs instead of doing out homework. NBD. Amanda! and Alyssa! (and make Liss Biss send you an invite to her blog because she explains our daily activities way better than I do. I guess that's because she wants to be a teacher or something.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for answering all of my questions and enriching my life by introducing a new semi-violent sport for me to love.