Sunday, September 09, 2007

Music=Poetry

The more that I listen to music the more this seems to come true. For instance this part of the song So Much Love by The Rocket Summer
"Hats need a beat, like awake needs asleep
Like a pen needs a page, to learn right you need a mistake

Oh, yeah

Hearts need a mind, like a clock needs the time
Like white needs black, if you leave I hope you need to come back

Oh, i swear, i know, i believe it
Oh, i can't stop hearing all the singing
Oh, my soul has never had this feeling
and it feels like gold

You got so much love in you
You got so much love in you
I'm amazed that I'm talkin' to you
You look like the songs that I've heard my whole life coming true"

Isn't that the cutest thing ever. I love lyrics that make you smile everytime you listen to them. Then next best thing to that are lyrics that you have to sing along to. You know those songs where just listening doesn't do the trick. Well I want to know what your favorite lyrics are at this moment.

6 comments:

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Yeah, Mal! That Rocket Summer song is really cute.

I've gotta say that one song I love (though it's a little old, and I might not be that cool for saying this) is Girlfriend by David Bedingfield. And another is Keane, Somewhere Only We Know. I hope to see what others say!

Alaina said...

I don't know if I have one favorite... I seem to like the crazy ones (Fiona Apple, Regina Spektor) but also meaningful ones (A Fine Frenzy).

Today I was appreciating how comical "Love Affair" by Regina is. My favorite are songs that tell a story but often have play-on-words or little sneaky phrases that tell the story. Like in Love Affair she's talking about a rumor

"Slowly festering through it -
innocent by-the-ware
Have you heard
He was perfect...."

Anyway this is making sense to no one but me but go listen to it.

Alaina said...

Okay I thought of another play-on-words like I described - the Dixie Chic's Goodbye Earl says

"Well he walked right through that restraining order..."

Can you just picture it? Play on words... fits perfectly into the song...

Okay I'm done now.

Mallory Jan said...

Yeah I get it. I totally understand where you are coming from. Most of Regina's lyrics are so weird and that is what makes them so good.

kendall said...

This is the best song on the planet.

Rachel Eve said...

I absolutely love the Rocket Summer.